Barite powder API is used in all drilling fluids for the purpose of increasing density. Increase mud density up to 21 lb/gal (2.5 g/cm3) in order to control formation pressure and stabilize the borehole. It is also soft, non-abrasive, contains few impurities and does not interact with other drilling fluid components.
Physical and chemical properties:
- Appearance: Fine, beige coloured powder
- Solubility: Insoluble in oil and water
- pH in water: Neutral
- Specific Gravity, g/cm3: 4.2 – 4.25
- Bulk Density, kg/m3: 1,920 – 2,400
Environmental and safety handling recommendations:
- Utilize normal precautions for employee protection when handling chemical products. Use of appropriate respirator gloves, goggles and apron is recommended for employee comfort and protection.
- Barite powder API with content of Cd (≤ 0.06ppm), Hg (< 0.01ppm) is non-toxic and is considered to be harmless in the marine ecosystem.
|Specific Gravity||g/cm3||4.20, min.||4.20 – 4.25|
|Wet Screen Analysis Residue on 200 mesh sieve|
(75 µ m)
% by weight
|Concentration of Soluble Akaline Eath Metal|
|Particles less than 6 microns||% by weight||30, max.||30, max.|
Packing and storage:
- Packing: 25 kg or 50 kg PP bag; 1 – 1.5 MT Jumbo bag.
- Storage: all of the fulfill bags will be stored in the dry, cool and ventilated condition and put over pallets before being load into containers.